Are you concerned about the environment? Are you like many homeowners and seeking appliances that can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and minimize your carbon footprint? If you’re in need of an environmentally friendly garbage disposal, you’ll want to consider the InSinkErator Badger 5, 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer. The InSinkErator runs off very little electricity too. You’ll need 120V and 60 Hertz to operate the disposal.
Additional highlights include:
- 1/2 hp Dura-Drive Induction Motor to offer a powerful operation and grind.
- 2-years in-home limited warranty.
- Measures: 6 5/6 inches in width by 12 5/8 inches in height so it’s compact in size.
- Comes complete with dishwasher drain connectivity.
Design of the Garbage Disposal
The grind chamber hosts a 26 oz. capacity, the disposer has a manual reset motor overload protection function, and it uses about a gallon of water per person daily. This environmentally friendly unit will only use 3.4-kilowatt hours per year. The InSinkErator Badger 5 is light, weighing about 13.6 pounds. When you buy it, the disposal comes with everything you need to install the device. View the full product specifications here.
Size & Power / Noise of the Unit
You’ll discover the InSinkErator Badger 5 is one of the quieter entry-level disposers on the market, and it’s surprisingly quiet, especially for its low pricing. For a quieter model, you’ll definitely need more horsepower, but the Badger 5 is quite reasonable in terms of noise control. The disposal has food-grinding flingers that are a bit noisy, but you’ll still get good value out of the Badger 5.
Feed & Grinder on the InSinkErator Badger 5
Single stage grind technologies including the unit’s GrindShear Ring makes it easier to grind up tough food products. While all that sounds like technical jargon, what it really boils down to is that the disposal has a superior grind so it is therefore quieter than other models. This continuous feed disposer practically liquefies food waste!
Pros of the Garbage Disposal
- The InSinkErator is the choice food disposer of nine out of every ten professionals in the plumbing industry. This means you’ll be getting a highly recommended disposal!
- The warranty comes with two years of convenient in home service. This means that when something goes wrong, a repair person will come to your home to fix the unit for you!
- Installation is super easy: Simply twist off the disposer you are replacing and twist on the new unit. Makes for ease of swapping out one InSinkErator of another.
Cons Associated with the Unit
- The splashguard that comes with the disposer is removable. You may find this makes it more difficult to clean.
- The upper housing is made of plastic, which is durable, but not as rugged as metal.
Do’s / Don’ts to Follow
- Read the Manual: Go over the entire manual before beginning the installation of the disposer. It will allow you to see every step you have to take before making the install. It will also help avoid any confusion during the installation.
- Additional Tools You’ll Need: Gather all your tools before your install. You will require a cable connector, wire nuts, plumber’s putty, hammer, flat head screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, hacksaw, slip joint pliers, and putty knife.
- To Avoid Shock during Install: Disconnect the power at the circuit breaker or fuse box before you start the installation of the unit. If you are unsure what to do, it is better to hire a professional to handle it.
- Dishwasher connection plug: Do not remove this plug if you do not have a dishwasher. If connecting the dishwasher, use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to knock out the plug before connecting the dishwasher.
- Wire connections: Do not cut any of the wires stored behind the electrical cover plate. Make sure you connect the ground wires correctly to avoid potential shock. If you are uncertain in on how to install the unit, have a professional install it for you.
- Switch installation: You will need to install an on/off switch within sight of the disposer unit.
- Do not use the following in the disposer: hot grease, hot items, caustic drain cleaners, large bones, plastic, china, glass, oyster shells, or clams.
The InSinkErator Badger 5 is an excellent disposer for your home. You’ll come to appreciate the appliance for its durability, ruggedness, and quality design. The disposer is also affordable, relatively quiet, and has great grinding features. The power behind the motor ensures the ruggedness of the device. If you are looking for a disposal that will last you for the long term, the Badger 5 is a good bet. For more information about the Badger 5 read, our Ultimate Guide. We hope you find our InSinkErator Badger 5 Food Waste Disposer Review useful.